Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- 2 large eggplants
- Salt, for sprinkling
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground lamb or goat
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Slice the eggplants into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Sprinkle salt on both sides of each slice and let them sit for about 30 minutes to draw out moisture. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Brush both sides of the eggplant slices with olive oil and place them on baking sheets. Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes, or until tender and slightly browned. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, and cook until softened and fragrant.
- Add the ground lamb or goat to the skillet and cook until browned. Drain any excess fat.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, dried oregano, ground cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour to create a roux. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then gradually whisk in the milk. Add the ground nutmeg and simmer until thickened.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and whisk in half of the grated Parmesan cheese and the beaten eggs.
- Spread a thin layer of breadcrumbs on the bottom of a greased baking dish. Layer half of the baked eggplant slices on top of the breadcrumbs.
- Spread the meat mixture evenly over the eggplant layer. Repeat with another layer of eggplant slices and top with the remaining meat mixture.
- Pour the white sauce over the top, spreading it evenly. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and bubbly.
- Allow the moussaka to cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 450Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 135mgSodium 470mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 5gSugar 9gProtein 24g