Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- 1 ham hock or ham bone
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups dried white beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a large pot, combine the ham hock or ham bone, diced onion, diced carrots, diced celery, and minced garlic.
- Add the soaked and drained white beans to the pot.
- Pour in the chicken broth and add the bay leaves and dried thyme.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the soup to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 1 hour, or until the beans are tender and the flavors are well combined. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the ham hock or ham bone from the pot and discard any fat, skin, or bones. Shred the meat and return it to the pot.
- Adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve the ham and bean soup hot, garnished with fresh parsley. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 300Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 25mgSodium 700mgCarbohydrates 42gFiber 12gSugar 4gProtein 20g