Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours 20 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours 50 minutes
- 1 whole turkey (10-15 pounds)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional herbs and spices for seasoning (such as thyme, rosemary, sage)
- Optional stuffing ingredients (such as onions, celery, herbs)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (163°C).
- Remove the turkey from its packaging and remove any giblets or necks from the cavity. Rinse the turkey inside and out with cold water and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Place the turkey on a roasting rack in a roasting pan, breast side up.
- Mix the softened butter with salt, pepper, and any desired herbs and spices in a small bowl. Rub the butter mixture all over the turkey, including under the skin and inside the cavity.
- If desired, prepare stuffing by combining ingredients such as onions, celery, and herbs. Stuff the turkey cavity loosely with the prepared stuffing. Alternatively, you can cook the stuffing separately.
- Tie the turkey legs together with kitchen twine to secure the shape.
- Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the turkey thigh without touching the bone.
- Place the turkey in the preheated oven and roast according to the recommended cooking time based on the weight of the turkey. Baste the turkey with pan juices every 30 minutes.
- Check the internal temperature of the turkey using the meat thermometer. The turkey is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) in the thickest part of the thigh.
- Once cooked, remove the turkey from the oven and let it rest for 20-30 minutes before carving. This allows the juices to redistribute and results in a juicier turkey.
Amount Per Serving Calories 170Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 85mgSodium 60mgCarbohydrates 30gProtein 30g